How to make ravioli using the ravioli rolling pin
The ravioli rolling pin is still a favorite among many Italians for quickly making lots of ravioli and filled pastries. You can use this pin for making just about any type of dumpling.
• Roll out the dough and cut in equal size sheets.
• Lightly roll the ravioli pin over one of the sheets to mark the edges of each raviolo.
• Place the filling in the center of each square.
• Cover with a second layer of dough.
• Pressing hard with the rolling pin, roll over the ravioli to seal the edges.
• Sprinkle some flour over the ravioli to keep them from sticking together after the next step.
• Using a traditional wavy pastry wheel, cut along the center of the edges.
You can cook the ravioli right away, or freeze them, well floured, in an airtight bag or container.
Never wash your ravioli rolling pin, and keep it in a dry area when not in use.
Mamma Antonietta’s Pasta Recipe
4 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of tepid water or as needed
1. Place flour on a wood board, make a well, and break the eggs into it.
2. If you prefer, you can mix it in a bowl with a fork, or in an electric mixer with a dough hook.
3. Slowly incorporate the flour into the eggs.
4. It will come together in a smooth, elastic (manageable) ball, with just enough moisture that it sticks together, but does not stick to the table or bowl.
5. You may need to add a bit of water if the dough is too dry and crumbly, or a bit more flour if too wet and sticky.
6. Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes covered with a towel. (If in a hurry, you can skip the resting period.)
7. Use a sharp knife to cut off a chunk from the ball, flatten it a little by pressing it with the heal of your hand, set the rollers to the thickest setting then roll the dough through the pasta machine.
8. Sprinkle some flour in the middle of the flattened sheet, fold it double and roll it flat again.
9. Repeat about a half dozen times, until the sheet has taken shape.
10. The dough should be relatively soft, however anytime it seems too moist, sprinkle a little flour.
11. Finally, roll it to the desired thickness for cutting.
Cousin Emily’s Ravioli Filling
Mix the following ingredients together well.
2-1/2 lb Ricotta, well drained
1 lb Mozzarella grated
1/2 cup Parmigiano grated
2 Tbsp Parsley, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste